Information We Collect
We collect information on and through our Services. The specific types of information we collect vary depending on the nature of our relationship with you and how you choose to interact with us, but may include personal data. Generally speaking, we collect information in three main ways: A) when you provide it to us, B) automatically when you use the Services, and C) from service providers and third parties
A. Information You Provide
You can provide us with different kinds of information depending on how you interact with the Services. Sometimes we’ll ask you to provide specific pieces of information, such as where we require it to provide parts of the Services to you (for example, by prompting you to complete an online registration process). If we ask you to provide us with these cases and you choose not to, you may not be able to access the relevant Services, and/or some features may not operate as intended. For instance, to register as a user and create a profile, you’ll need to provide us with basic registration information like your name, a public-facing display name, password, the country that you live in, and your email address. If you want to make a purchase or become a seller, we ask that you provide payment-related information (like your PayPal e-mail address, VAT number, and business location).
We also collect the information you voluntarily provide as part of your user profile (like avatar, biography, skills, and interests), to sign up for email alerts, use social features and forums (likes, follows, comments, search queries), use our tools (including to create and publish images and other content), complete surveys, or contact us for customer support. If you enter a contest or competitive event, we’ll collect your application information and other information we may need to help confirm your eligibility and process rewards. We collect whatever information you choose to provide to us in those or other similar cases.
B. Information We Collect Automatically
We collect some information automatically when you visit, access, or use the Services. This includes information about your site or application usage, user interactions, purchases, and other activity in the Services, typically associated with your account profile or with an identifier we have assigned to your device or profile. While the specific types of information that we automatically collect may vary, they generally include:
- Usage information and statistics about how you interact with the Services, including the application you used, saved preferences, crash reports, commenting data (for spam prevention via Akismet), and navigation data (like the URLs of our websites that you have visited, URLs of referring and exiting pages, page views, time spent on a page;
- Technical information about your computer, device, hardware, or software you use to access our Services, such as IP address, device identifiers, your internet service provider, plugins, or other transactional or identifier information for your device (such as device make and model, information about device operating systems and browsers, or other device or system-related specifications); and
- The general location of your device, which we typically derive from your device’s IP address.
Please note that if certain features on the Services are provided by third parties, those third parties may also use automated means of data collection and may record information about your use of the Services or others’ websites over time. These features are subject to those third parties privacy notices and policies.
C. Information We Collect from Other Sources
In some cases, we may also receive information about you from third parties or service providers in connection with your use of the Services or your interactions with us on other platforms. For instance, while using the Services, individuals may provide information about another individual, or an authorized user (such as an account administrator) creating an account on your behalf may provide information about you.
As another example, if you choose to sign in to your Altrous account with your account on a third-party (like Facebook) website or service, or if you interact with Altrous on an external website or service (like LinkedIn), the company that operates that website or service may share some information with us in accordance with their own privacy practices. Your privacy settings on the other company’s website or service typically control the specific types of information they can share with us, so please be sure to review and update them regularly.
How We Use Your Information
As a general matter, we use the information we collect (either individually or in combination with other information collected as described in this policy) to help us provide, improve, customize, analyze, and promote the Services.
This includes using it for purposes such as:
- Creating use profiles, verifying and managing user accounts and features;
- Providing the Services, as well as support and assistance for them, including by responding to inquiries, processing transactions or requests, and communicating with users (such as by sending service and account-related messages and updates);
- Developing, delivering, and improving the Services and other offerings, some of which may be offered in partnership with other parties;
- Personalizing your experience, including by presenting content or features better tailored to you or your interests, or our inferences about your interests;
- Promoting the Services, including managing, customizing, and measuring the effectiveness of our advertisements, promotional offers, contests or challenges, surveys, and events;
- Conducting research and data analytics (like analyzing how the Services are used so we can better understand, improve, and personalize them);
- Complying with our legal or contractual obligations and enforcing our terms; and
- Securing the Services, such as by detecting fraud and otherwise protecting Epic and other users from illegal or harmful actions.
Recipients of Your Information
We may otherwise disclose your information:
- to business partners, suppliers, and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you, for example for hosting and operating the Services or providing support and maintenance services for the Services;
- to analytics and search engine providers and other selected third parties that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our website;
- to our regulators, law enforcement, or fraud prevention agencies, as well as our advisors (including legal advisors and auditors), courts, and any other authorized bodies, for the purposes of investigating any actual or suspected criminal activity or other regulatory or legal matters;
- in the event of certain types of corporate transactions (like in connection with a restructuring or sale of all or a significant part of our business);
- to legal advisors and otherwise in connection with legal proceedings to enforce or apply our rights under any contract; and
- otherwise, where we have notified you of the intended disclosure, and where required, you have expressly given your prior consent to such disclosure.
You may provide information or content to be published or displayed in public areas of the Services, or transmitted to other users of the Services or third parties (including through the Forum and Store). Although you may set certain privacy settings for such information by logging into your account profile, anyone may view such information or content that you choose to submit or post in this manner.
Privacy Settings / Controls
We seek to provide you with meaningful choices about the personal data we collect. The specific choices available to you often vary depending on how you interact with the Services:
- If we process your personal data based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by updating the settings in your user profile or contacting us at Support@altrous.com.
- You can also change your email marketing preferences at any time by using the opt-out mechanism provided in our marketing emails.
- If you wish to modify any of your user profile information, restrict the processing of your personal data, or cancel your account, you may update the settings in your user profile or contact us at Support@altrous.com.
- You can request that we provide access to, or that we correct or delete, personal information we’ve collected from you. Please submit requests to access, update, or delete personal information associated with your Altrous account by contacting us at Support@altrous.com. Note that we may ask you for additional information to help us verify who you are before completing your request.
- You can change your browser or mobile device settings to block, manage, delete, or limit tracking technologies like cookies. In some cases, blocking or disabling cookies may cause the Services not to work as intended and some features may not be available.
- Some parts of the world provide individuals with specific choices related to their personal information by right under local law. For example, Where the French Data Protection Act is applicable, you have the right to make arrangements for the storage and communication of your personal data after your death. To exercise this right (or others), you can send us your instructions at Support@altrous.com.
Our Services are not intended for persons under the age of 16, and we do not knowingly collect personal data from children under the age of 16. If you have reason to believe that a person under the age of 16 has provided personal data to us, please contact us at Support@altrous.com, and we will make every effort to answer your queries and immediately delete that information from our databases
We may use various cookies or other tracking technologies on our Services for analysis and improvement. When you visit our Services, these technologies may be placed on your device for the following purposes:
- Internal cookies are required to run the website in the best possible manner (including for user authentication, to keep your session active when logged in, and to indicate the content to display a user);
- Audience measurement and analytics; and
- Third-party cookies improve the interactivity of the Services (including helping run our Blog, Forum, and Help Center).
Manage cookie settings
You may adjust your browser or website preferences to accept or reject cookies and similar technologies from us. Please consult your browser’s settings or help menu for more information. However, blocking cookies or similar technology might prevent you from accessing some of our content or features of the Services.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password that enables you to access certain parts of our website and apps, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Services. Any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal data, we will use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorized access, including keeping security patches up to date and by constantly investigating new ways to keep data secure.